Moses Myers (1753-1835) was a shipping merchant who came to Norfolk in 1787 from New York. He acquired this site in September 1791 and built his distinguished Federal town house in 1792. It was one of the early brick buildings to be constructed in Norfolk after the destruction of the town during the Revolution. The distinctive dining room and kitchen were built about 10 years later. In addition to his shipping business on Market Square, Myers became the superintendent of the Norfolk branch of the Bank of Richmond. He was active in public affairs as well, holding diplomatic positions in Denmark in 1812 and in Holland in 1819. In 1828 he was appointed Collector of Customs for Norfolk by President John Quincy Adams. The Myers family continued to own and occupy the house until 1931. Th house welcomed many distinguished visitors over the years including Stephen Decatur, the Marquis de Lafaytette, James Monroe, Henry Clay, General Winfield Scott, President William Howard Taft, and President Theodore Roosevelt.