Built in 1705, as a triple stockade. Rebuilt in 1735, on heavy hewn timbers set on stone wall ten feet high. Fort was one hundred feet square, with blockhouse at each corner, twenty four feet square and twenty feet high. Was capable of holding three hundred men. Entered by a large swinging gate, raised like a drawbridge. Six cannon commanded the approaches from all sides. One square within, was used as a parade and drill ground. Taken down during the revolutionary war and timbers used in frame of soldier's barrack, at corner of Union and Lafayette Streets. Tablet erected by Common Council on Centennial Anniversary of incorporation of City
March 26, 1898.