Originally planned in 1683 but not constructed until about 1731, this triple arch stone bridge is believed to be one of the oldest examples of its type still existing in New Jersey. Perhaps it is the oldest. The bridge marks the boundary between Middlesex and Somerset counties.
On April 13, 1777, a force totaling 3000 British and German troops, commanded by General Cornwallis, attacked the Continental Army garrison at Bound Brook. Just before dawn, an advanced party of Hessian Jaegers attacked and drove in the American picket line on River Road, (approximately 200 yards southeast of this marker).
Reaching this stone bridge, the Hessians were unable to advance or retreat because of a "murderous fire" from the American troops stationed in the "Half Moon Redoubt" (approximately 70 yards north of this marker).