Established in July, 1854, the pioneer newspaper was published at this location continuously until 1954. First publisher was Albert N. Francisco followed by a colorful group of editors that included Prentice Milford, John and Ferdinand Van Harlingen, Judge C.H. Randall and Wm. H. Roberts, Judge Robert Ferrel, William Arthur and Lotus Greenwood.
Printer Charles Blackburne spent most years on staff in terms of service.
A most eminent columnist was Arthur C. Hender, whose items appeared each week for more than 25 years. An outstanding civil leader and a gifted writer. To Clamper Hender, an esteemed Officer of the Order, this marker is placed as a memorial this 15th day of May, 1965.