Stretches between Llano and Colorado Rivers westward almost to the Pecors. An 1842 grant of 3,800,000 acres from the Texas Republic, purchased in 1844 by the German Emigration Society. Commissioner General John O. Meusebach founded Fredericksburg in 1846 as way-station to the grant. Negotiated peace with Comanches, to provide for unmolested settlement. Founded 3 towns in grant. In 1854 was appointed to issue headrights. Counties formed from grant: Concho, Kimble, Llano, McCullogh, Mason, Menard, Schleicher, San Saba, Sutton and Tom Green.