Built in 1852, this building was adjacent to location of the Battle of Richmond, Aug. 29-30, 1862, and became field hospital for Gen. Wm. Nelson's 1st and 2nd brigades, USA. Mortality was high, and about forty Union soldiers were buried in mass grave near church. Reinterred in Camp Nelson National Cem., 1868. After war, building again served as Mt. Zion Christian Church. Over.
On Aug. 30, 1862, this building was struck by fire from Captain John T. Humphrey's Arkansas Artillery Battery, with Churchill's (3rd) Division of E. Kirby Smith's Provisional Army of Ky., CSA. Scar is still visible on south wall. Battle of Richmond brought a Confederate victory. After Battle of Perryville in October, Confederates retired from state.