At the Ohlone Indian village of Oroysom, Padre Ferm?n Francisco de Lasu?n founded this fourteenth of twenty-one Franciscan missions June 11, 1797. Taught by Padre Narcisco Dur?n, the Ohlone Orchestra and Choir became famous. By 1830 almost 2,000 Indians were living at the mission. The mission was secularized in 1836 and its lands divided into ranchos. During the Gold Rush, a store in the west wing outfitted miners. The 1868 earthquake destroyed the adobe church and most other mission buildings. The church was rebuilt in 1985. California Registered Historical Landmark No. 334Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in Cooperation with Grand Parlor, Native Daughters of the Golden West, June 8, 2003.