This log building, which was erected while this part of the country was still a wilderness, is a silent tribute to the courageous and hardy Americans who preceded you who read this. This tribute symbolizes the strength and character of which we are all so proud.
The building was erected sometime about 1804 on the west side of Hamilton then called Rossville. It sat on the south side of Boudinot Street between Second and Third Streets, since renamed "C" and "D" Streets. Boudinot is now Park Avenue.
The cabin has been owned by no less than 57 persons. R.B. Hershner, the last owner, donated it for reconstruction, and Walter A. Rentschler and Thomas B. Rentschler provided funds for its reconstruction and restoration on this site.
Masonry work was provided by brick and masonry apprentices of the Hamilton Area Unit Masonry Association.
Placement on this site seemed most fitting, for it was here that Fort Hamilton was erected in 1791 - and from this, our community had its beginnings.