Here on the site of the old market
square the Manchester Elliott Grays,
the first volunteer company in this
section, was mustered into service
May 9, 1861, commanded by Louis
Francis Bossieux. After attending
services at the old Ninth Street
Methodist Church, they entrained
for Norfolk May 10, 1861.
Erected by Elliott Grays Chapter
United Daughters of the
Confederacy. May 9, 1935.
Here the Manchester Artillery,
composed of Manchester and
Chesterfield County men, was
enrolled for service, May 1, 1861,
Dr. William R. Weisiger, commanding.