Keep Supplies MovingOne of the first railroads in the country, constructed in 1830 of wooden rails that carried horse-drawn cars, extended from Baltimore to Ellicott's Mills. This station was built the next year, and soon steel rails replaced wooden ones as the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was constructed. The line became strategically important to the Union war effort in 1861, and the local Patapsco Guard were among the Federal troops that guarded the road. Supplies en route to the armies passed the station day and night. After the battles of Antietam and Gettysburg, prisoners were held here pending parole or transfer to prison camps. The war's human toll was vividly evident here after the Union defeat at the Monocacy River near Frederick, Maryland, as thousands of Federal Soldiers, casualties, and prisoners flowed through town both on foot and by train as they retreated to Baltimore.
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 345141 N 4348031|
|Decimal Degrees||39.26780000, -76.79510000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 16.068', W 76° 47.706'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 16' 4.08" N, 76° 47' 42.36" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||202, 410, 443, 301|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 8019-8035 Frederick Rd, Ellicott City MD 21043, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.