[Front]Continued on other side
The first bridge here, in use by 1680, had a raised road at either end and was built from split logs with the flat sides up, covered by sand or clay. Traffic over Goose Creek increased significantly after St. James, Goose Creek Church was built 200 yds. S in 1714-19. By the 1750s the bridge had to be replaced every few years. In 1780 British troops occupying The Oaks Plantation nearby guarded the bridge, a strategic point on the road to and from Charleston.
Continued from other sideThe bridge was torn down and replaced by a larger covered one shortly after the Revolution. A later covered bridge, built in 1851, was 200 ft. long, on brick piers, with a plank floor and cypress shingle roof. It was burned in 1865 by Confederates attempting to delay Federals in the area. Another bridge here, built some years after the Civil War, was uncovered, with a simple railing. By 1925 a new U.S. Highway 52 included a bridge upstream and W. of this crossing.