This inland rice plantation has its origins in a 1683 grant. In 1726 Nathaniel Moore and his wife sold a 900-acre parcel to Isaac Mazyck (d. 1736). Mazyck's son Benjamin (d. 1800), a rice planter, cattleman, and merchant, consolidated several nearby plantations and lived here until his death, when his son Stephen (1787-1832) inherited the plantation. Stephen's widow Mary sold it to Dr. Charles L. Desel in 1834.
Dr. Charles Lewis Desel (1795-1855), a planter and physician, owned this plantation for more than twenty years. His friend Rev. John Bachman (1790-1874), a Lutheran minister and naturalist, brought artist and naturalist John James Audubon (1785-1851) here several times to hunt and observe birds and wildlife. Liberty Hall declined after the Civil War, and was leased as a hunting preserve from 1912 to 1943.