Springfield Plantation, an inland rice plantation, was established here by Paul Mazyck (d. 1749), a planter and merchant who combined two large tracts on Foster Creek, a branch of Back River. His father Isaac, a French Huguenot planter, had come to S.C. in 1686. Paul Mazyck, who owned more than 40 slaves by the time of his death, grew rice and other crops here and also owned several businesses in Charleston.
A two-story house once stood here, with a large oak avenue in front and an ornamental "pleasure garden" behind it. Paul Mazyck's son Alexander (d. 1786) inherited Springfield; his widow Elizabeth owned 100 slaves in 1790. The plantation was sold out of the Mazyck family by 1846. Its 940 acres were divided into tenant farms for the next hundred years until it was developed for housing in the 1950s.