On Dec. 12, 1864, the 3rd Cavalry Division [US], Brig. Gen. J. L. Kilpatrick, USA, covering the right rear of Gen. Sherman`s army which was then closing in on Savannah, crossed the Great Ogeechee River near Fort Argyle and the Canoochee River near Bryan Court House (Clyde) on pontoon bridges laid by the 1st Missouri Engineers [US] and moved down Bryan Neck. That night, Kilpatrick made his headquarters at the plantation home of Lt. Col. Joseph L. McAllister, 7th Georgia Cavalry [CS], which stood near the river immediately north of this site.
On the 13th, Kilpatrick sent Murray's brigade into Liberty County to scout the country to Sunbury. He ordered Atkins' brigade and the 10th Wisconsin Battery to camp at "Cross Roads" (Richmond Hill) then, with two of Atkins` regiments, He moved down Bryan Neck. Approaching Fort McAllister, he skirmished with the Confederate pickets, driving them back to the fort. After examining the approaches to the fort, he moved on to Kilkenny Bluff (8 miles SE) where he was able to make contact with the USS "Fernandina" and forward dispatches to the flag-ship [US] reporting the arrival of Gen. Sherman's army at Savannah.
On the 14th, Kilpatrick moved with the balance of his command to Midway Church. After scouting the country and stripping it of livestock and provisions, he returned to Bryan County and went into camp at "Cross Roads" to picket the country to the south and west, and to protect the Union supply depot at King's Bridge.