← 4.5 mi.—?East 4.5 miles, on Great Ogeechee River, Fort McAllister was built 1861-62 to guard the "back door" to Savannah. During 1862-63, it repulsed 7 attacks by armored vessels, some mounting 15-inch guns. Dec. 13, 1864, its small garrison of 230 Georgians was overwhelmed by Hazen's Division, 15th Corps [US], which had marched via this road. Its fall opened the Ogeechee to Union vessels which, loaded with supplies for Gen. Sherman's army, had been lying in Tybee Roads and Port Royal Sound. A wharf and depot were built at King's Bridge (on US 17) from which these supplies were distributed to the invading forces.
|Series||This marker is part of the Georgia: Georgia Historical Society/Commission series|
|Placed By||Georgia Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 10:19am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 475281 N 3528272|
|Decimal Degrees||31.89000000, -81.26138333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 53.4', W 81° 15.683'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 53' 24.00" N, 81° 15' 40.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||229, 912|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3424 Fort McAllister Rd, Richmond Hill GA 31324, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.