You are standing on "Corn Cob Hill" where corn was once shelled, weighed and and lowered in hopper cars into a grain elevator below, thence onto ships.
Under the bridge to the left is the foot of the rapids where non-native settlement started in the Toledo area.
Less than two miles upriver Anthony Wayne and his troops won the Battle of Fallen Timbers in 1794, opening this part of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Wisconsin to settlement.
From Ewing Island directly ahead, Wayne defied British troops at Fort Miamis across the river by destroying their allies' corn crops.
One mile upriver at Fort Meigs, American forces under William H. Harrison helped bring an end to the War of 1812 in this part of the nation.
In the flats to the right, wooden ships for river and lake commerce were once built when Perrysburg was one of the most important ports on the Great Lakes.
The hydraulic canal that provided water-driven power to Perrysburg's early manufacturers started upriver near Buttonwood and ended at the foot of this hill.