Continuing efforts started in the 1920s by the Texas Forest Service (TFS),the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), established through the Emergency Conservation Work Act (1933) during the Great Depression, aided in efforts to preserve Texas forests. CCC enrollees offered fire protection by stringing telephone lines, constructing bridges, culverts, fire lookout towers and fire roads, performing timber stand improvements, and surveying and mapping East Texas forests. The CCC also conducted an extensive reforestation campaign. The work done by the CCC contributed greatly to forest conservation in Texas. This is the site of the former CCC Lufkin District Heavy Equipment Maintenance facility.Marker is property of the State of Texas.