1869 - 1971The Infirmary, also known as the poorhouse or simply "The Home," is one of the last county poorhouse sites in Ohio where nearly all of the original structures still stand. The main building, constructed in 1868 with outbuildings added over the years, served as home for the county's poor, sick, orphaned, elderly, and mentally ill. The Lunatic House was added in 1885 as a facility for the violently insane. The Infirmary operated as a self-sufficient farm where residents contributed according to their ability. Throughout its 102 years of service, the Infirmary had an average population of eighty residents, swelling to over 140 during the Great Depression of the 1930s. The site closed as a poorhouse in 1971 but reopened in 1975 as the Wood County Historical Center and Museum. The Wood County Infirmary was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Wood County Historical Center and Museum, and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Tuesday, September 23rd, 2014 at 4:56am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 281112 N 4581007|
|Decimal Degrees||41.35083333, -83.61646667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 21.05', W 83° 36.988'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 21' 3.00" N, 83° 36' 59.28" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||419, 567|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 13600-13818 Township Hwy 172, Bowling Green OH 43402, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.