Side A: The Ohio Oil Company-Marathon Oil Company
Site of the first Findlay Field Office for what was to become a world-wide oil company, formerly locally owned and operated.
1887: The Ohio Oil Company was incorporated by five independent oil producers in the Lima field.
1901: J.C. Donnell elected President of The Ohio Oil Company. Company's big well, the "Hugh McMurray," comes in.
1929: Construction begins on new office building at South Main and Hardin streets.
1962: Name changed to Marathon Oil Company to reflect international operations.
Side B: Gas Boom Era
Four years (1886-1890) changed the course of history in Northwest Ohio, making Findlay an industrial center.
1884: Findlay Natural Gas Company, formed by Dr. Charles Oesterlen, brings in first commercial natural gas well.
1886: Karg Well comes in and Findlay becomes known as the "City of Light."
1887: Free fuel, free light, and free land attracts 31 industries to Findlay.
1888: Findlay becomes known as "Glass Capital of the World."
1890: Natural gas output declines. Oil production increases.