Charles City County, VirginiaRoxbury was named for a nearby plantation in New Kent County and reached by Longbridge over the Chickahominy. This community was the site of a colonial era tavern and the only railroad station in Charles City County . Roxbury post office (1883-1953) succeeded earlier post offices at Waddill's Store (1853- 56), Edna Mills (1856-66) and Nance's Shop (1876-83). Homes in this vicinity have included Laurel Hill and Green Meadow, the residence of Quaker minister James Ladd. L.M. Nance, Commonwealth Attorney (1882- 1923) and member of the Virginia Senate resided in this area, as did William H. Adkins (1853-1921), chief of the Chickahominy Tribe. This neighborhood has been home to Hughes Store and the first meetinghouse of the Charles City Baptist Church (est. 1776), first pastored by Rev. Joseph Bradley. Other churches later established here include Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church (1876-1948) and Union Baptist Church (est. 1862). The Civilian Conservation Corp and the schools of Mt. Pleasant , Roxbury and Union Baptist were also located here. R.G. W. Jones, the first black elected to represent Charles City County in the General Assembly also lived nearby.
|Placed By||Charles City County|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Friday, October 24th, 2014 at 1:55am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 308287 N 4144903|
|Decimal Degrees||37.43111667, -77.16681667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 25.867', W 77° 10.009'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 25' 52.02" N, 77° 10' 0.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 5801-5835 State Rte 603, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.