Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe
The 739th Tank Battalion was activated in March 1943 at Fort Lewis, Washington. The officers were from various states, the enlisted personnel from Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana.
The battalion participated in maneuvers in Oregon, the firing range at Yakima, Washington and special training at Fort Knox, Kentucky.
From January to April, 1944 the unit trained at Camp Bouse, Arizona with the CDL (Gizmo) Tanks, then returned to Fort Knox.
The 739th embarked to England in August 1944 and after further training in South Wales, shipped to Leharve, France in November 1944.
In April 1945 Lt. General William Simpson, 9th Army Headquarters, issued a letter of commendation to the 739th BN for its actions in combat involving the CDL, mine exploder, fighter and flame thrower tanks.
The battalion was deactivated in December 1945.
This monument is dedicated to the members of this unit and to those who gave their lives for the freedom that we now enjoy.