Charles City County, VirginiaThis community acquired its name from the Barnett family and was once a major commercial center for the western end of the county. The area has been served by the post offices of Bradley's Store (1879-1911) and Barnett's (est. 1911). At the time of the Civil War, the area east of Bradley's Store was known as Freetown. Landmarks have included Salem Methodist Church (1810-1948), Gillfield Baptist Church (est. 1884), two blacksmith shops, a stave saw mill, the one-room Barnetts and Waterloo schools, the Waterloo Pottery, two auto dealerships, an undertaker and several stores, including the old Adams grocery store. The area was also home to the Charles City County Canning Company, maker of 5 C's Tomatoes. Rev. Edward Folkes, a founder of Salem Church , resided in this vicinity. Prominent homes of Barnetts include Broomfield , Rural Shades, a home of the Adams family, and West Garden , originally known as Aspen Grove. This area was formerly the site of Montpelier , the magnificent home of the Ladds, a prominent Quaker family.
|Placed By||Charles City County|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 12:15pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 308888 N 4137528|
|Decimal Degrees||37.36481667, -77.15811667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 21.889', W 77° 9.487'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 21' 53.34" N, 77° 9' 29.22" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 9035-9201 Barnetts Rd, Charles City VA 23030, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.