1868Comprising 8,000 acres of Brookston-Crosby soils, the marsh is named for Hog Creek which drains it. Once a shallow lake, cranberries, wild flags and grasses flourished here. Reclamation (1868) cost $13.00 per acre. Dredging was done by steam scow; lateral ditches were hand dug by spade. The original grade of 1/3" in 100' proved ineffective for onion, beets and potatoes. In 1949 restored drainage outlets breathed new life for today's soybean and corn agriculture.
|Series||This marker is part of the Ohio: Ohio Historical Society series|
|Placed By||Heirloomers Club of Dola and Ada and The Ohio Historical Society|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 20th, 2014 at 7:26am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 270043 N 4517480|
|Decimal Degrees||40.77615000, -83.72491667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 46.569', W 83° 43.495'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 46' 34.14" N, 83° 43' 29.70" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3000 Co Rd 95, Dola OH 45835, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.