Following the Creek Cession in 1832, settlers, mostly from Georgia and the Carolinas, occupied this section of the Creek Nation. Among the first settlers was James Young who purchased land a half-mile west near a trading post called Georgia Store.
Community life can be dated from 1837 when Griffin Young opened a post office in his store and eight men and women, "The Baptist brethren settlers of Youngsville" organized Fellowship Primitive Baptist Church. The store and the church were within view of this site.
For the first thirty-five years of its existence, Youngsville was a country hamlet of scattered farms, a store-post office and a church. The Civil War delayed the construction of the railroad and an ambitious plan by Griffin Young to promote a "town" on his property.
Anticipating the arrival of the railroad, the Town of Youngsville was incorporated in 1872 and, the next year, the town's name was changed to Alexander City in honor of E. P. Alexander, president of the Savannah and Memphis Railroad.