Crowfield Plantation, on the headwaters of Goose Creek, was originally granted to John Berringer in 1701. John Gibbes (1696-1764), a member of the Royal Assembly, sold it in 1721 to Arthur Middleton (1681-1737), also a member of the Royal Assembly. Middleton's son William (1710-1785) built a large two-story brick house here ca. 1730, naming it for Crowfield Hall, his great-aunt's English manor.
William Middleton grew rice and indigo, raised cattle, made bricks, and laid out an elaborate formal garden. Rawlins Lowndes (1721-1800) bought Crowfield during the American Revolution; he sold it in 1783, describing it as "that elegant most admired seat." The house was virtually destroyed by the Charleston earthquake of 1886. Later owned by Westvaco, Crowfield became part of the Crowfield Golf & Country Club in 1990.