Historic Texas CemeteryArtesian springs helped draw settlers to Eastern Erath County and the community of Bluff Springs (later Bluff Dale). In 1872, Rev. James Wesley and Martha (Middleton) White donated seven acres of land for a church, school and community burial ground here. Many early Wesley Chapel Cemetery graves are unmarked. The Lewis family plot records several deaths in a short time span, likely reflecting illness from harsh frontier conditions. The Wesley Chapel Methodist Church was active until the 1920s. A cemetery association maintains the graveyard, and families meet each April for a work day. Today, the cemetery that overlooks north Paluxy Creek is the last remnant of the historic Wesley Chapel community.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 9:07am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||14S E 588876 N 3579497|
|Decimal Degrees||32.34886667, -98.05548333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 20.932', W 98° 3.329'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 20' 55.92" N, 98° 3' 19.74" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 277-541 Farm to Market 1188, Bluff Dale TX 76433, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.