In February 1837 the Reverend Calvin Clark, a circuit riding pastor sent by the American Home Missionary Society, met with twenty-four persons and organized the Albion Presbyterian Church. The first church was built in 1840 on the corner of Clinton and Erie streets. In 1857 the congregation erected a new church on this site; it burned in 1873. The third church, completed in 1879, also burned, and the present one was built in 1884.
The First Presbyterian Church, built on this site in 1858, burned in February 1873. Detroit architect Elijah E. Myers was immediately commissioned to plan a new church, which was completed in 1879. (Myers also designed Michigan's present state capitol.) In 1883 fire again ravaged the church. The Romanesque Revival building's shell and two stained-glass windows were saved and incorporated into the present church, which was dedicated on August 10, 1884.