The settlement of Lorton was named by Joseph Plaskett, who immigrated to Virginia from his home north of England in the scenic Lorton Valley. Plaskett became the first Lorton postmaster in 1875 and generations of Plasketts followed in his footsteps until the Port Office closed in 1910. Plaskett is buried nearby in the Lewis Chapel cemetery.
In April, 1999, KSI broke ground on Lorton Station, Virginia at a ceremony attended by Eric William Nicholson of Lorton, England and Doris Bubb, great grand daughter of Joseph Plaskett.
The cornerstone below was part of a wall from a farmhouse in Lorton, England dating back to 1791. The original Lorton rail station, completed in 1872, was located south of this spot.