One-half mile south, on Seehorn Creek, the first Stokely Brothers cannery was built in 1898 with $3,900 invested by Colonel Alfred R. Swann, Anna Rorex Stokely, and her sons, James and John. In the 30 ~ by ~ 60 ~ foot shed, 4,000 cases of tomatoes were canned that summer, hauled by wagon to a landing on the Stokely farm and shipped to market by boat.
The Stokely Brothers canning operation grew to become one of America's largest companies with 4,500 full-time employees and almost $600 million in annual sales. Known for its canned pork~and~beans, Stokely~Van Camp was the first marketer of the sports drink, Gatorade. In 1983, the Quaker Oats Company purchased Stokely~Van Camp for $238 million.