William Hill, who served in the American Revolution and was present at many battles, built an ironworks near here on Allison Creek about 1776. Hill and his partner, Isaac Hayne, manufactured swivel guns, kitchen utensils, cannon, ammunition, and various farm tools. His ironworks was burned by British Capt. Christian Huck in June 1780.
Rebuilt 1787-1788 near here on Allison Creek, Hill's Ironworks consisted of two furnaces, four gristmills, two sawmills, and about 15,000 acres of land by 1795. Around 80 blacks were employed here as forgemen, blacksmiths, founders, miners, and in other occupations. A nail factory with three cutting machines was operating here by 1802.