Hare's Mill, which stood here on Cloud's Creek, was a large grist mill owned by James Hare (1838-1929). Hare bought the mill from the Rinehart family in 1885 and moved it here. The two-story mill ground both corn and wheat, using water power to grind corn and steam power to grind wheat. It was also an important meeting place for this community over many years.
James and Elizabeth Black Hare had nine sons: John Allen, Samuel Jacob, Noah Ephram, Butler Black, Joseph William, Henry Benjamin, Jemmie Lee, George Tillman, and Sidney Bowles. They helped their father run Hare's Mill until it closed in 1928, when S.C. Electric and Gas Company bought land on Cloud's Creek before building Lake Murray. The mill was demolished soon afterwards.