Rathmoyle Cemetery

Rathmoyle Cemetery (HMIRI)

Location: Perrysburg, Roscommon 43551 Roscommon
Country: Ireland
Buy Ireland flags at Flagstore.com!

N 53° 46.749', W 8° 22.697'

  • 0 likes
  • 0 check ins
  • 0 favorites
  • 285 views
Inscription
Rathmoyle Cemetery is unique in that it is the property of the parish and is maintained solely by the local population.

The site appeas on the 1st edition of the 6 inch O.S. series of maps for Co. Roscommon as a Mortuary Chapel with surrounding graveyard. It is mentioned in the 1837 O.S. Map.

The site was presented as a gift to the area by the local gentry, the Irwin's, in 1921 and has since been used as a local cemetery.

The surrounding wall was constructed in the 1930's through local contributions and labour.

The earliest recorded burial on the site is in the year 1801; that of Mrs. Sarah Irwin in the vault to the rear of the mortuary chapel in the stone enclosure. It is believed she died in childbirth and that her child is buried with her.

The chapel itself and the monumental spire date to the year 1865 as a dedication to the memory of Mary Irwin from her husband Richard. She was renowned for her charitable acts, one of which was to fund the construction of the Rathmoyle National School to replace the hedge school there. She also financed the finishing of Caddlebrook School when the building was stopped for lack of funds. The Irwin family were managers of Rathmoyle N.S. until 1921.

Also according local history, a hospice or house of refuge was constructed on the site between 1702 and 1714 by Fr. Augustine Plunkett to relieve victims of famine, fever and destitution.

It is also believed that there is a famine grave on this site.

It is believed that the remains of this hospice were used to build the stone enclosure. Evidence of this can be seen in the piece of tracery window built into the wall itself. This dates back to before the 14th century.

The chapel and the cemetery were restored to its present state between 1992 and 1996 and are at present being maintained by the efforts of the local people.

Children's Burial Ground.

From early medieval times until the mid 20th century it has been common practice in Ireland to set apart a special place for the burial of very young or unbaptised children. One such place is in the south west corner of this cemetery where a monument was erected in memory of unbaptised children from this area in 2008 by the cemetery committee.

Details
HM NumberHMIRI
Tags
Marker ConditionNo reports yet
Date Added Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 at 8:42am PDT -07:00
Pictures
Sorry, but we don't have a picture of this historical marker yet. If you have a picture, please share it with us. It's simple to do. 1) Become a member. 2) Adopt this historical marker listing. 3) Upload the picture.
Locationbig map
UTM (WGS84 Datum)29U E 540968 N 5959129
Decimal Degrees53.77915000, -8.37828333
Degrees and Decimal MinutesN 53° 46.749', W 8° 22.697'
Degrees, Minutes and Seconds53° 46' 44.94" N, 8° 22' 41.82" W
Driving DirectionsGoogle Maps
Area Code(s)419, 567
Closest Postal AddressAt or near 859-899 Unnamed Road, Perrysburg Roscommon 43551, IE
Alternative Maps Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap

Is this marker missing? Are the coordinates wrong? Do you have additional information that you would like to share with us? If so, check in.

Check Ins  check in   |    all

Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.

Comments 0 comments

Maintenance Issues
  1. Is this marker part of a series?
  2. What historical period does the marker represent?
  3. What historical place does the marker represent?
  4. What type of marker is it?
  5. What class is the marker?
  6. What style is the marker?
  7. Does the marker have a number?
  8. What year was the marker erected?
  9. Who or what organization placed the marker?
  10. This marker needs at least one picture.
  11. Can this marker be seen from the road?
  12. Is the marker in the median?