[Front Side of Marker]:
The 17th Infantry, created by Congress in 1812 and formed with personnel from western states, was the only Regular Army regiment in General James Winchester's column of the Army of the Northwest's campaign to regain Detroit. During the War of 1812, the 17th fought at Frenchtown, Fort Meigs, Fort Stephenson, and Thames River. In 1815, the 17th was consolidated with the 5th, 19th, and 28th Infantry to form the 3rd Infantry. In May 1861, the 17th Infantry was again organized as a Regular Army regiment and has since served continuously with distinction.
[Reverse Side of Marker]:
The regiment served in Ohio at Columbus Barracks from 1894 until 1899, where, after the Spanish-American War, the American Veterans of Foreign Service, the predecessor of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, was founded. The 17th participated in the Civil War, Indian Wars, Spanish American War, Philippine Insurrection, Mexican Border Campaign, World War II, Korean War, Vietnam War, and expeditions in Panama (1989-1990). The regiment was decorated with the Presidential Unit Citation for the Leyte Operation, the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, and four Republic of Korea Presidential Unit Citations. Seventeen members of the 17th Infantry have been awarded the Medal of Honor.