[West Side of Marker Stone]This memorial marks the site of
the home built in 1656 by
Captain James Avery
the founder of the family now known
as the Groton Averys. This
Hive of the Averys
was owned and occupied by its
famous builder until his death. Its
later ownership and occupancy
passed, in regular order of descent,
from father to son, until it was burned
on the night of July 20, 1894.
[East Side of Marker Stone]
Successive owners of "The Hive."
Capt. James Avery, 1656-1700.
Capt. James Avery Jr., 1700-1728.
Col. Ebenezer Avery, 1728-1752.
Elder Parke Avery, 1752-1797.
Lieut. Parke Avery Jr., 1797-1821.
Youngs Avery, 1821-1837.Parke William Avery, 1837-1868.
James Denison Avery, 1868-1894.