(2 miles Southeast)Joseph H. Bowman, a veteran of the Texas War for Independence from Mexico, offered one hundred acres of land to the Rev. W.D. Lewis to come to Mt. Hope community and establish a Methodist church and cemetery. The Rev. Mr. Lewis agreed and the congregation began in 1875. In November of that year Margaret (Ruby) Hicks was the first person to be buried in the adjacent cemetery. Though the church was moved to nearby Wells after the railroad came through in 1886, the cemetery continued to be a place of importance among the more than 1800 people of Wells, Mt. Hope and other Cherokee County communities interred here. There are more than 200 military veterans, including eight Confederate soldiers. The cemetery is a chronicle of the history of Cherokee County.
|Placed By||Texas Historical Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 21st, 2014 at 10:44am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||15R E 313117 N 3489436|
|Decimal Degrees||31.52473333, -94.96826667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 31° 31.484', W 94° 58.096'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||31° 31' 29.04" N, 94° 58' 5.76" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 25 County Rd 2626, Alto TX 75925, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.