(1684 - 1748)Wells is the founder of Wells' Ferry, now known as New Hope. When York Road was established between Philadelphia and New York, travelers needed a dependable way to cross the Delaware River. In 1722 the Pennsylvania Provincial Assembly gave Wells the legal and exclusive right to operate a ferry to cross the river. He also received a license to operate a tavern and inn near his ferry landing. Wells operated the ferry and public house for over thirty years. His public house was a regular stagecoach stop on York Road. He is buried here at Kitchen's Hill.
|Placed By||New Hope Historical Society and Professional Landscape Services, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 7th, 2014 at 8:31am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 502534 N 4467848|
|Decimal Degrees||40.36120000, -74.97015000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 21.672', W 74° 58.209'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 21' 40.32" N, 74° 58' 12.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||610, 215, 267|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 401-405 W Bridge St, New Hope PA 18938, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.