National Register of Historic Places
Listed March 7, 1980
United States Department of the Interior
Sahuaro Ranch was one of the first farms in the Glendale area and a reminder of Glendale's agricultural beginnings. Started by wealthy Illinois businessman William H. Bartlett in 1886, the ranch was a commercial operation and became known as the "Showplace of the Valley." Ranch owners, including Bartlett, produced fruit, grains and cotton, ranched cattle, raised horses and operated a dairy. As farms gave way to houses, the City of Glendale purchased the remaining parts of the ranch in 1977. The City preserved 17 acres of the original ranch along with 13 buildings and a historic landscape of trees and irrigation ditches.