Monument to General Sumter stands 500 yards south. Born August 14, 1734, in Hanover County, Virginia, he was a frontiersman and Indian fighter. Coming to South Carolina by 1764, he became a planter. As Partisan leader and later brigadier general of state troops, he harried the British in the Revolution. He served in U. S. House and Senate and died at South Mount, June 1, 1832.
Monument to General Sumter was erected by General Assembly of S. C. and unveiled Aug. 14, 1907, at ceremonies attended by Sumter Guards of Charleston, 300 U. S. Regulars, First Artillery Band and Sumter Light Infantry, with address by Hon. Henry A. Middleton Smith. Chairman of commission and moving spirit in erection of this monument was Col. John J. Dargan of Stateburg.