During the 1870s, Samuel Schaudies and Abbie Robinson Schaudies moved to this site from Huntsville and purchased this five-room cottage in 1881 for $800.00. The deed lists this site as part of Lot 84, "Old Town" Decatur. In 1875, their daughter, Tulie Ophelia, was born and, in 1898, she married H. J. Banks in the parlor. He was a descendant of a pioneer Decatur family, notary public, businessman, and son of a city alderman. Their daughter, Athelyne Celest, was born and lived in this cottage for ninety-eight years. She was a tireless church worker, educator, and philanthropist. An academy, city park, and elementary school were named in her honor.