This cemetery, which began with the burial of Mary J. Tobey in 1872, overlooks a stretch of the Lampasas River valley named for Nathaniel Wheeler Tobey (1810-1892). A blacksmith from Connecticut, Tobey settled on several hundred acres here about 1870 and built a two-story rock house nearby in 1875. Nathaniel Tobey, his wife Winnie (Dennis) (1828-1878), and Mary J. Tobey are the only Tobey's buried here.
About 1875 William H. Reavis (1821-1885) and his wife Harritt (Ellis)Reavis (1830-1893) purchased land along the Lampasas River east of this site. William and Harritt and a large number of their descendants are buried here. In 1895 John Priest, Sr., (1839-1908) and Mary (Castleberry) Priest (1841-1925) purchased a significant portion of the Tobeys' original estate, including this cemetery. John and Mary Priest and many of their descendants also are buried here. Successive generations of the Reavis and Priest families have owned land in this area of Tobey Valley.
Tobey Cemetery contains the burials of many of the pioneer families and their descendants who lived in Tobey Valley including the Bell, Williams, Shed, Castleberry, and Black families. This historic cemetery is maintained by a cemetery association.