Murrisk - from Muraisc (Sea-marsh)
This small house of Augustinian friars, located here on the south shore of Clew Bay in the shadow of Croagh Patrick, was founded in 1457 by Hugh O'Malley. It was dedicated to St Patrick, some of whose relics were preserved here.
The only surviving buildings are the small church and the range of domestic buildings which bordered the cloister on its east side - the chapter house below, where the friars met to discuss business and read the daily chapter of the order's rule, and the dormitory above. The cloister itself has disappeared. The church has unusual battlemented walls and a fine east window which once threw sunlight onto the altar. A bell-tower was sited at the west end of the church rather than in the centre as is more usual, but this had fallen before the end of the 18th century.
Is ? Aodh ? M?ille a bhunaigh an mhainistir bheag seo, at? ar bhruach theas Chuan M? agus faoi sc?th Chruach Ph?draig, sa bhliain 1457. Mainistir Aguist?neach a bh? inti, le Naomh P?draig mar ph?tr?n aici, agus tais? naofa leis ar coime?d inti tr?th.
N? mhaireann anois ach an eaglais bheag agus sraith foirgneamh t - teach na caibidle th?os agus an seomra m?r codlata thuas - thart timpeall an chlabhstra ar an taobh thoir. T? an clabhstra f?in imithe. T? balla? neamhghn?cha t?ibhleacha san eaglais agus fuinneog bhre? sa bhalla thoir a scaoil solas na gr?ine isteach ar an alt?ir. Bh? cloigtheach suite ag an taobh thiar den eaglais (c? gur gn?ch ? bheith ina l?r), ach thit s? seo roimh dheireadh an 18? haois.