Organized by settlers from Liberty County on Dec 3, 1864. The first minister, Rev. Eli Graves, came from Brooks County once a month to hold services in the courthouse before the first church was dedicated in 1867. Early elders were S.M. Varnedoe, R. M. Campbell, and S. E. Myddleton, with W.A. Pardee, Deacon. In 1891 a second building was dedicated. The present building, erected in 1907-1909 and designed by J.W. Butt and M.E. Morris, Atlanta, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, Nov 2, 1987.