c. 1800This handsome building, c. 1800 was constructed by Gilbert Chalmers. From 1810 to 1825 it was the home of Gov. John Geddes, who married the builder's daughter. During Gov. Geddes' term in office, Pres. James Monroe visited here. In 1867 Mary Amarinthia Yates Snowden and her sister Isabella Yates Snowden established a home here for Confederate widows and orphans and subsequently opened a college on the premises. It is still known as the Confederate Home.
|Series||This marker is part of the South Carolina: Preservation Society of Charleston series|
|Placed By||Preservation Society of Charleston|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 6:40pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 600213 N 3627033|
|Decimal Degrees||32.77665000, -79.92995000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 46.599', W 79° 55.797'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 46' 35.94" N, 79° 55' 47.82" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 66 Broad St, Charleston SC 29401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.