The Briggs State Bank was chartered on May 27, 1909. Constructed that spring, this limestone and brick building is typical of a commercial architecture style once popular in Texas. It features a three-bay front with central entry and transoms, and decorative brickwork detailing. The bank and town flourished for fifteen more years, with an economy centered on cotton and wool production. In the mid-1920s, changing agricultural practices weakened the local economy. After a massive fire destroyed much of the town, including most of the businesses on this street, the bank closed in 1928, a year before the Great Depression.