1863 - 1928First blast furnace in Jefferson County erected near this site (1863) by Red Mountain Coal and Iron Co. Destroyed (1865) by Federal troops: rebuilt (1873) and second furnace added. Successful experimental run made in Furnace No. 2 (1876) using local coke and Red Mountain iron ore: this assured future growth of coal and iron industry in Birmingham area. Owned by a succession of companies, the furnaces were acquired by U.S. Steel Corp. (1907) and later dismantled (1928).
|Placed By||Alabama Historical Association|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 14th, 2014 at 6:50am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 514092 N 3698979|
|Decimal Degrees||33.43010000, -86.84840000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 33° 25.806', W 86° 50.904'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||33° 25' 48.36" N, 86° 50' 54.24" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 3061 Shannon Oxmoor Rd, Birmingham AL 35211, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.