This church was founded in 1881 with assistance from Harmony Presbytery. It had 12 charter members, with elders Cornelius McLaurin and James Caldwell and deacons Dr. Henry J. McLaurin and Edward H. McCutchen. Rev. H.B. Garris, Wedgefield's first minister, preached two Sundays a month in an old school nearby.
The church sanctuary, often called "the church in the pines," was completed in 1882 on land donated for the church and cemetery by James H. Aycock. Rev. Garris, the first permanent minister, was installed by Harmony Presbytery in 1885. Rev. Perry H. Biddle had the longest pastorate, serving 1947-1968.