Spalding was the first County between Chicago and Miami on the old Dixie Highway with a concrete highway running from county line to county line. A demonstration strip, completed Jan. 30, 1919, from the city limits of Griffin to and along the front of the Georgia Experiment Station, was the first paving outside a city on the route. That same year the people of Spalding County voted a bond issue of $350,000 to complete the paved highway to the county lines in both directions. Dedication for the completed highway was held in September, 1920. County Commissioners were J. E. Wallace, chairman, C. L. Elder and W. A. Jester.