On this site stood the home of William Few, one of Georgia`s signers of the United State Constitution. Built in 1781, the house burned in 1930.
William Few was born near Baltimore, Maryland, June 8, 1748. In 1776 he moved to Augusta, Georgia, and began to practice law. Among the positions he held during the next twenty years were the following` Lieutenant-Colonel of the Richmond County Militia during the Revolution; member of the State House of Assembly from original Richmond County; member of the Executive Council; presiding Judge of the Richmond County Court; surveyor general of Georgia; member of the Continental Congress; original trustee for establishing the University of Georgia; delegate to the convention which drafted the Federal Constitution; United States Senator; and Judge of the Superior Court of Georgia, Middle Judicial Circuit.
In 1799 Colonel Few moved to New York City, where he served as a member of the New York Assembly; State prison inspector; city alderman; United States Commissioner on loans; director of the Manhattan Bank; and president of the City Bank. Colonel Few died at the home of his son-in-law, Major Albert Chrystie, in Fishkill, New York, July 15, 1826.