In March, 1864, about fifty pioneers under the leadership of Jens Nielson settled Panguitch. They built a fort of logs, enclosing their homes and a building used for church, school and recreation. The town was abandoned in 1867, because of Indian trouble, the people moving to Beaver, Parowan and Paragonah. In 1870 President Young called George W. Sevy to lead a company and resettle Panguitch. In March, 1871 a small group of people left Paragonah, arriving March 16, 1871. The fort had not been molested.