Multi Use House
The two-story stucco-covered brick house overlooking the Reedy River falls was built by W.E. Touchstone between 1894 and 1896. It was located in the "West End," a rapidly developing residential and commercial area across the river from Greenville's earliest development. Used as a rental property for about twenty years, by 1918 when the West End was fast becoming the city's first "motor mile," the house became Curry's Gasoline Station. Later it was People's Service Station. In 1972, the Carolina Foothills Garden Club acquired the property, renovated it and named the home Falls Cottage.
Carolina Foothills Garden Club
Restoring Greenville's Birthplace
The Carolina Foothills Garden Club, beginning in 1967, spearheaded efforts to reclaim the long neglected site of Greenville's birthplace and to preserve its natural beauty. The City of Greenville endorsed the project and resolved to establish and maintain a park. Furman university, whose campus was once located nearby, donated the original six acres, followed by other land grants from adjoining property owners. Over the next two decades the Garden Club, in partnership with the city, continued to develop the area. In 1975, the small house known today as Falls Cottage, was acquired and restored. A master development project was begun in 1990 with city and garden club funds as well as support from foundations, corporations and individuals. The park, listed on the National register of Historic Places, encompasses 26 acres with trails, gardens, scenic overlooks, textile mill ruins, and historic information plaques. Love of history, appreciation for nature and a desire to preserve it all for public enjoyment have motivated the work done here. This is a place restored to life!